Wednesday, November 30, 2011











have you ever tried to take a picture in a closet...that's what i felt like i was doing!!  our house was built in 1950 and so our bathrooms are tiny!!  i have no idea how photographers take pictures in bathrooms....it's impossible.  but you get the idea.  before my bathroom was just a painted box.  there wasn't anything wrong w/ it....it just wasn't me.  so over thanksgiving, i convinced my dad to stay a week and help make my bathroom pretty.  now, i can officially say "it's me".  we added wainscoting and that made a huge difference.  it made the bathroom feel taller and brighter.  it was a quick, inexpensive way to get a big impact...dad had the wood up in about 2 hours....then it was just painting (3 coats of white) that made it official.  the next step was wallpapering.  dad has wallpapered numerous times so i was just the assistant.  it's kind of fussy work but wallpapering is one of my favorite things to add to a space!  and b/c we used the wainscoting, it cut down on how much wallpaper i actually needed.  the wainscoting was $115 for all the materials and then it was just the cost of the wallpaper....we used about 3 single rolls.  the wallpaper is quadrille/china seas java java in navy on white.   and i love her.  thanks for y'alls sweet comments and a huge thanks to my dad for being the best handyman a girl could have!!

32 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful makeover, I love the wainscoting, great job!

Tiffany @ Savor Home said...

I love it! The wainscoting made such a big difference and I live the wallpaper. I wish I could borrow your dad for a few days to make some improvements at my house!

Unknown said...

What a fantastic update! I love when you show stuff real people can do!

Megs said...

GORGEOUS! I love this bathroom! Also, if it makes you feel any better, my bathroom is WAY smaller.

lizziefitz said...

Can a powder room be yummy? If so , YUMMY!!!

The Glamorous Housewife said...

Stunning! Really love all the details you and your father added.

Thanks doll,
The Glamorous Housewife

katiedid said...

Oh my! SO much prettier! Love the paper, the molding, the art, the accessories. Well done!!!

p-l-a-i-d said...

It looks amazing! I love the wallpaper and and wainscoting always makes a space look better.

Wendy (SpikesnSparkles) said...

looks great! I hope to do something similar in my bathroom!

bluehydrangea said...

Shannon, I can't believe it is even the same room!! Love, love, love it!! If I were you I would want to hang out in there all day!!

La Dolfina said...

Simply divine!!

Shantastic said...

I love it! I just painted my bathroom white this weekend. I might need to go back to the drawing board now.

jen leitzell said...

What a beautiful makeover! I love the wainscoting you added. It really does make a huge impact!

Lauren (The Cottage Mix) said...

Shannon it looks awesome!! Much better than the planking....see your Dad was right :) I love the wallpaper. How fun to have a project completed to check off the list! Hope you are doing well!

Sara Cate said...

Such a fabulous redesign! Love it.

Crissy @ House of Marlowe said...

This is so pretty! The wainscoting and wallpaper are amazing! Your dad deserves a BIG Christmas present! :)

Anna (Minted Photography) said...

This looks amazing!! I love everything about this space now.

Unknown said...

oohhh. so pretty. i love it! well done.

bevy said...

ok, wow! yeah, that wainscoting really did spruce it up. it looks so lovely! great job. and yay for dads!

Emily Boyle Westbrooks said...

How cheery! What a difference the wallpaper and wainscoting make! Dads are great :)

bryn alexandra said...

AWESOME!!!

paula said...

It's beautiful! will your dad come to my house ;)

Jennifer said...

looks great! big improvement. and I feel you on the tiny bathrooms. mine is seriously TI-NY!

deleted said...

Great job, looks wonderful! I love how you just posted the step by step pictures without comment until the end, it was like a little silent movie. ; )

Catie said...

Amazing!!! Looks beautiful. Can you come to my house?!

simply seleta said...

WOW!!! Love it love it love it. Everything is perfect, right down to your styling. xo

casey at loft and cottage said...

SO pretty! Love the colors.

Mary Ann Pickett said...

This is gorgeous. Just recommended box wainscoting for an e-client. I cannot get a good photo of our powder room due to the mirrors...I am always in the shots. Your dad is awesome.

Kristen Ellis said...

Love the transformation of the charming powder bath!

www.kristenellisdesign.blogspot.com

Mary Ann Pickett said...

Here from Cottage and Vine. Your project is awesome!
I love that China Seas pattern!

Anonymous said...

This is exactly what I want to do for our powder room!!! I absolutely love the wainscoting, makes such a difference! I hope you don't mind I would like to share your before & after picture on my blog so I can try and describe what I would like to do :) Thanks for sharing, love it!

Katie

Lisa said...

gorgeous!
where did you get those cute cups with numbers?

jennifer