Monday, April 27, 2009

the skinny...



i know i have featured monogramming in the last couple of posts but today, i thought i would share my tips on the matter. while it is my ultimate goal to one day own beautiful bedding from leontine linens, unfortunately at this point in my life, i cannot. so i tried to brainstorm how i could get a custom looking monogram but w/out breaking the bank...
here are my tips:

-take your linens (whether it be pillowcases, shower curtains, hand towels, etc.) to your local embroidery shop and start browsing....if the place only offers 10 styles of monograms, this isn't the right place

-i think it is super important to think outside of the box...stay away from any kind of monogram that you may find in a mail order catalog or on a beach tote...we are aiming for something more unique

-when selecting a monogram, the font is really important. you want to find something that is different; i went w/ a scroll b/c it seemed more old world and traditional. modern lettering is great too, just find something w/ a little edge (there are several fonts that have an asian flair that would work great)

-next, monograms with borders give a more custom appearance...for instance, adding a side detail or framing the lettering is a great way to get a custom look. you may have to add this element to the lettering.

-getting the right color is the next important step; you want to select a thread that will allow the monogram to pop...brown is always a safe go-to color. if you are feeling adventurous, add more than one color in the lettering or details. (sometimes finding the exact thread color is hard...it's better to play it safe (brown) then get a color that is slightly off)

-lastly, SIZE totally matters. my thoughts are: the bigger the better; an over sized monogram really gives a punch. for my king shams, i did a 10" monogram. the lady at the shop thought i was crazy (i think she suggested 4"). however, once she saw how they looked, she fell in love w/ them, taking pictures to add to her book.

i hope i have answered some of your questions about my pillows...i created a custom monogram for $17 per pillow. it took a little more time (i think i was in the shop for like an hour trying to figure it all out) but the results made me so happy. now it's your turn to go out and create something beautiful....

19 comments:

Bethany said...

Great ideas, great post. Keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Gramercy - a linen store in Atlanta - have a ton of fabulous monograms for you to choose from - they do not have the Leontine Linens price tag - but they do have the look.

High-Heeled Foot in the door said...

What wonderful ideas. I love a good monogram and your bedroom pillows look amazing!

Anonymous said...

Fantastic post! I just new linens that could use a special treatment!

Brooke @ Blueprint Bliss said...

Great post. Love your pillows. And I, too, wish Leontine was in the budget. Maybe one day!

vivi said...

I love love love that wallpaper! Pink and orange is one of my favorite (and surprising) color combinations. Gret tips!

Viv

http://www.hivingout.blogspot.com

paula said...

I love the fonts! I may have to borrow this idea:)

Sarah's Fab Day said...

These are yummy I love them.

Tyler said...

I could look at monograms all day, so as far as I'm concerned, keep em coming! I love your tips. Can you recommend a good embroidery shop in Charleston? Thank you!

My Notting Hill said...

Great tips on size, color, framing etc. You've got me thinking...

Courtney said...

I could lick the screen I love these examples so much! You're right - the bigger the better with monogramming. Makes more of a statement and less country clubish. Love!

Pink Wallpaper said...

tyler- i used 'b picky' in mt. pleasant....

MonogramSoup said...

love it...I have a monogramming machine and just posted a headboard I made on my blog the other day that I did for a client. She wanted the traditional monogram, but I am doing one for my self that is more detailed. Check it out if you have time. monogramsoup-monogramsoup.blogspot.com

No.35style said...

Thanks for the tips!!

weski said...

I love monograms and use Whyte House Monograms in the Washington, DC area - their website is www.whytehousemonogramms.com

weski said...

oops - lose the extra m. www.whytehousemonograms.com.

Kathleen Ellis said...

Great article...this is such a great budget friendly and stylish way to express your own unique sense of style!
Love your blog!
Have a FABulous week!
;-D

Lisa Porter said...

great advice! i too love a big bold monogram. i scored when the proprietor of one of my favorite gift stores here in Lexington passed on the name of the gal that did monograms for her store merchandise.
I was so grateful as many shop owners don't want to give out that info, but also I was glad to be giving the business directly to this sweet woman who worked out of her home. it's always good to ask.
also wanted to say thanks for stopping by TLPC and leaving me such fun comments.
it's always great to visit pink wallpaper too...did you notice you are on my daily list!
have a great weekend...i'm off to dig through my garage closet now!
Lisa

GrannySmithGreen said...

I love the way you thought through this process. Years ago I drew my initials on pillow cases then my grandmother embroidered over my script. They are treasures to me now.